Saturday, September 30, 2006

Winding down

Rebecca posted a delicious picture of her carrots this evening and that reminded me that I haven't posted any pictures of my small garden for a while.

The garden is definitely winding down. This afternoon, we cut back the tomatoes, removing all the extra leaves and flowering vines in order to allow the remaining tomatoes an opportunity to catch the sun they need to finish ripening on the vine. It was a messy job after the rain shower, but it had to be done!

I picked more cayennes and thai chili peppers yesterday. (cayennes on left, thai chilis on right)

They are still bearing well and unless we get an early frost, I will still be picking for awhile.

I've got peppers drying on my window sill, too.

We'll have enough dried soranno, cayenne, and thai peppers to last us for several years. The poblanos didn't have enough sun and we've only harvested two or three small peppers. The bush is full of flowers, but there's just not enough sun or time left in the growing season for them to bear fruit. We probably should have pulled it up while we were working, but it's healthy and growing and not bothering anyone, so we let it be for now.

This time of year I start thinking about next spring. What I'll try to grow and where I have any hope to grow it in this shady yard. What I'll do with that new sunny spot now that the big maple has been taken down. Flowers or veggies or both? Whether we should plant peppers again next year. What kind of peppers haven't we tried to grow yet? Could I ever hope to grow carrots like Rebecca's. . .well, I can dream, can't I?

Related Tags: ,