Monday, March 13, 2006

An invitation to a new blog


Hey, all you Tolkien fanatics! (I know, I know, not you Kate--but who knows, maybe someday!)

I made my morning stop at Challis.com and learned that Mike Russell has launched a new blog, The Lord of the Kingdom. He will be analyzing the Biblical underpinings in the Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

The purpose of this blog is to draw from the wealth of wisdom and depth of insight in Tolkien’s covertly Christian book in order to shed additional light on the Christian life and the struggle against, not flesh and blood, but spiritual forces that oppose all that is good. Characters and events elaborate and shed additional light on the unseen realities of life.

I was relieved to read in his first post that he does NOT consider LOTR an analogy.

There is no one-to-one correspondence to be found - this is not allegory, after all - but that which is revealed and transpires in the Ages of Middle-earth points the way to the One true Lord of the Kingdom while warning us of the lord of the kingdom who seeks to enslaves us in rebellion against the One God.
I love to "be there" at the launching of a new blog, don't you--to watch it develop and grow. If you're a Tolkien fan, today would be a good day to go visit The Lord of the Kingdom. Oh, and tell Mike I sent you. I'd sort of like to have a link in his side bar someday! :)