Saturday, July 08, 2006

Quote of the Week

Each Saturday, for some time now, I have chosen a new quote to place in my sidebar. Every one of them has touched my heart and mind in a substative way. I was reminded of that this morning, in light of the conversation below, "A Literary Call to Action" It made me wonder how many of my readers noticed that there was a weekly quote in the sidebar and if so, were they aware of when it changed.

So, starting this Saturday, I shall post the quote of the week as a separate post. Perhaps you will find it a catalyst for your own heart meditations.

Here's this week's quote, from my favorite theologian, Jonathan Edwards.


"The enjoyment of God is the only happiness with which our souls can be satisfied. To go to heaven, fully to enjoy God, is infinitely better than the most pleasant accommodations here. Fathers and mothers, husbands, wives, or children, or the company of earthly friends, are but shadows; but God is the substance. These are but scattered beams, but God is the sun. These are but streams. But God is the ocean." Jonathan Edwards

This quote came to mind this week because our sermon for this Sunday is called "The Water of Life" and since I prepare and print the service bulletins for our church, I am privileged to receive a preview of the order of service each week. From the Call to Worship, until the Benediction, our service carries the theme of the sermon, so that the entire worship experience is saturated from start to finish with the Biblical text. Every song, every scripture, every reading advances the lesson.

Jules asked a question this week about what percentage of the church service was engaged in the teaching of the Word. In the case of our church, it is nearly 100%--only the announcements are not directly related to the lesson.

There are many who dismiss the traditional, liturgical service as irrelevant, or somehow cold. In my opinion, nothing else engages the heart and mind so deeply as a well organized and executed order of worship. My pastor, Bill Radford, is very gifted in bringing it all together, week after week. If you're reading this, Bill, thank you.

Related Tags: , , , ,