Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Books of 2006

In the last couple of days I have collected two new book quotes that I wanted to share with my bookish friends.

To be a book-collector is to combine the worst characteristics of a dope fiend with those of a miser. --Robertson Davies
I don't think of myself as a book-collector--more of a bibliophile, but I must admit that I hope someone will "feed the beast" and I will get at least one book for Christmas this year.

And here is a funny one from the beloved Arnold Loebel:

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard gray hair and wrinkles by the time I read them.
Arnold inspired me to collect as many of the books I have read this year that I can remember and put my hands on and make a stack next to my reading chair. My pile doesn't go to the ceiling, but if I added all the books that I poked my nose into, reading just chapters at a time, and the ones I have forgotten, and the ones I have borrowed and returned, the pile would probably be half again as tall. (I have already thought of three books I didn't include in the "finished pile.")


The stack on the floor are books I have read this year. (I "read" the Lord of the Rings on CD so that doesn't exactly count, but I'm counting it anyway because I love it and I've held it in my hands and read it more times that I care to admit. I haven't read the entire Bible this year but I have read the entire New Testament, or will by the end of the year. I also haven't read the entire two volumes of Jonathan Edwards this year, but they are my constant companions, so they must be included.)

The two books on the ottoman are the ones I am reading now. The stack in the corner of the chair are the books that I bought but haven't read yet. The two on the seat of the chair are ones I started but never finished.

If you'd like to play along with me, make a stack of your books, take a photo (or post a list) and send me a link, here in the comments or by email. I'll link to your post. (Kim I KNOW you want to play along!)

Related Tags: , ,