Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday


Shannon, at Rocks in My Dryer, has started a new column today: Works for Me Wednesday.

The idea is to share some little tricks and shortcuts that just make life easier.

A while back I blogged about buttermilk. Yes, buttermilk:

How many times have you needed just a half cup of buttermilk to make biscuits and then the rest of the pint has somehow been shoved to the back of the fridge and forgotten?

Well, I have wasted more buttermilk in my life than I care to admit, but recently I got smarter.

I started freezing half cups of buttermilk in those cute little snack-sized zippy bags.

Freeze them flat on a half sheet pan and once frozen you can stack them up.

Then when you need a half a cup to make biscuits or say, 2 cups to make soda bread, just take it out and thaw.

UPDATE: I just remembered how hard it was to fill the little bags without making a mess. After many failed attempts, I came up with a system that works: Measure your 1/2 cup into a cup with a spout, pinch the zipper most of the way closed and THEN pour the milk into the bag. It's much easier to get the bag sealed without having most of it go all over the counter. I won't tell you how many times I spilled before I figured out a way to do it neatly!

I drink my coffee black, but I have friends and family who like half and half and those flavored creams. I do the same with leftovers and it's saved a bunch of CoffeeMate from going down the drain!

Related Tags: , , ,