Thursday, February 02, 2006

Happy Ground Hog Day

First D.J.: Rise and shine, campers, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.
Second D.J.: It's cold out there every day. What is this, Miami Beach?
First D.J.: Not hardly. So the big question on everybody's lips.
Second D.J.: On their chapped lips
First D.J.: their chapped lips is, does Phil feel lucky? Punksatawney Phil, thats right wood chuck chuckers its
[in unison]
First D.J.: GROUND HOG DAY
Second D.J.: GROUND HOG DAY

Move over Punxsutawney Phil! Around these parts we look to Woodstock Willie as our springtime prognosticator!

The movie, Groundhog Day, was filmed in Woodstock, Illinois, not far from where I live. This was the year I told myself I might get up early and go see what's going on in the square this morning, but I hate crowds and I told myself the same thing I've told myself every year we've lived here: "maybe next year." I have visited the square, had coffee and pie in the restaurant, and seen the spot where Needlenose Ned Ryerson accosts Phil. I have seen the spot where Phil steps into the puddle. But I have never yet experienced Groundhog day on the square. I'm not sure why, other than perhaps a fear that once begun, I will be hooked and Groundhog Day will be a recurring event for me.

Today is gloomy with heavy cloudcover. I can't imagine that Woodstock Willie could have seen his shadow. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

[update] Just heard from a reliable source (my husband) that Willie did not see his shadow. Maybe Donna can tell us whether Jimmy the Groundhog in Wisconsin saw his shadow.

[update 2] My source was reliable. Read all about it.

[update 3] My friend from "Down Under" has seen the movie but just doesn't understand why we Americans celebrate Groundhog Day. Here's a link explaining how it came to be. I learned something new!