Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Mystery Solved

Yea! I found out the name of my Mystery Plant!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actaea
Actaea erythrocarpa
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Ranunculales
Family: Ranunculaceae
Genus: Actaea
L.
Species
See text.

Actaea (bugbane) is a genus of eight species of flowering plants belonging to the family Ranunculaceae, native to temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere.

And I was especially happy to note that I was on the right track; Order: Ranunculales Family: Ranunculaceae

I wasn't especially happy to learn that it produces poison berries.

Common names: Bugbane, Bane Berry, White Cohash

Related Tags: , , , , ,

Kate had an interesting idea in the comment section of the original post:

I pose a challenge! Can we see who can name your gorgeous flower? It wouldn't have to be a botanical name. It could be anything...Come on! It will be fun! What say you? Can we?
Of course we can, why not? That's how all these plants end up with common names, isn't it?

This could be fun, but you have to play along. I'll be looking for creative, funny, or intriguing names. I will choose the winner and there will be a prize. I have nothing in mind at the moment, but I will award a prize and it will involve calligraphy.

So, let the challenge begin!

(Oh, I better let you know when the challenge is over and judging (likely to be a bit arbitrary and according to whatever strikes my fancy) begins. Midnight tomorrow will be the final day to submit names (leave them in the comment box of this post) and I'll announce the winner on Thursday morning after I have a cup of coffee and check my email)