Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday VI

I love having fresh flowers on my dining room table and because I can get a nice, affordable bouquet at Aldi every week, I have flowers on the tables most of the time. It's a small indulgence that makes me very happy.

This time of year, though I stop spending my weekly $2.99 for Aldi flowers and start scouting the yard for plant material to bring in to my table. I don't have many flowers in the yard right now--too late for tulips and daffodils and too early for daisies and peonies, but I can still have an interesting arrangement.

I take a stroll in the yard and start looking for interesting greens. Today's arrangement consists of three kinds of hosta leaves, some English ivy, and a fading sprig of bleeding hearts.

I also like to use a cutting from shrubs such as boxwood or holly at times or the deep burgandy color of my coral bell leaves or the white and green leaves of my variegated euonamous.

So look around your yard for plant materials to bring in to your table. You don't have to have flowers if you have some interesting leaves of different colors and textures. If you don't have anything interesting, plant a couple different varieties of hosta, some ivy, and maybe a fern or some lavendar and soon you'll be able to cull a fresh arrangement for your table at the drop of a hat.


For some more ideas that might work for you go visit Shannon and follow the other Works for Me Wednesday links.

Related Tags: , , , , , ,