Tuesday, August 01, 2006

August Garden: Struggling in the Heat


The bleeding hearts are dying back. That always makes me sad because I know it means I must wait many months to see them again. About mid February I will use this picture as my desktop to remind me that spring is coming:




The super cayennes are beginning to ripen. Time for some Thai Chicken Soup!


Just out of curiosity, I planted a shamrock bulb in the ground this year. I thought it had died because nothing appeared for weeks and weeks, but I discovered this little sprout a few days ago. Looks like it will bloom in a day or two if the heat wave doesn't overcome it!


This is my neighbor's holly hock. Don't you love old fashioned flowers? I do.


It promises to be another scorcher today. The plants are suffering in this heatwave and repeated waterings don't seem to be making much of a difference.