Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A Godly Man is a Lover of the Word: Part Sixteen

A Godly Man is a Lover of the Word

by Thomas Watson

"O how love I your law." (Psa. 119:97)

Question: How shall we know that we love the reproofs of the Word?

Answer 1: When we desire to sit under a heart-searching ministry. Who cares for medicines that will not work? A godly man does not choose to sit under a ministry that will not work upon his conscience.
-----
Sitting under a heart-searching ministry IS a choice. The sad truth is that NOT sitting under a heart-searching ministry is a choice, too. We all need the reproofs of the Word, every last one of us, whether we are babes in Christ or seasoned saints, for without the reproofs of the Word, we are very adept at fooling ourselves into thinking we're doing "OK."

The heart is deceitful above all things,
and desperately sick;
who can understand it?
"I the LORD search the heart
and test the mind,
to give every man according to his ways,
according to the fruit of his deeds."

I need to know I'm desperately sick. I need medicine that works. Medicine that points me, again and again, to Christ, the Great Physician.
Related Tags: