Friday, August 04, 2006

Thirsting Desires and Insatiable Longings

From The Journal of David Brainerd, August 28, 1742
"I withdrew to my usual place of retirement in great peace and tranquility; spent about two hours in secret duties and felt much as I did yesterday morning, only weaker and more overcome. I seemed to depend wholly upon my dear Lord, wholly weaned from all other dependences. I know not what to say to my God, but only lean on His bosom, as it were, and breathe out my desires after a perfect conformity to Him in all things. Thirsting desires and insatiable longings possessed my soul after perfect holiness. God was so precious to my soul that the world with all its enjoyments was infinitely vile. I had not more value for all the favor of men than pebbles. The Lord was my ALL; and that He overruled all greatly delighted me. I think my faith and depenence upon God scarce ever rose so high. I saw Him such a fountain of goodness that it seemed impossibe I should distrust Him again, or be anyway anxious about anything that should happen to me."
This exerpt convicts me and convinces me that I have not yet tasted such sweetness of fellowship with Christ. But, as with Brainerd, even as weak and small as my experiences of the majesty of Christ in His fellowship with me have been in comparison, I have in some measure experienced "thirsting desires and insatiable longings" for Him. Have you?

For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. Psalm 84:10