Thursday, October 26, 2006

Your Opinion Requested

So, I'm reading Dracula for the first time. I'm thinking: this is a classic tale, written in the 1800's. How evil can it be? It's the "story telling kind of evil," right? Look, Dracula even has his own stamp!

I have read Frankenstein and it has a Christian world view. Frankenstein is shown to be a man who would be God, and his monster is a sympathetic character; misunderstood, maligned, abandoned. Moral of the story: God is God, man is not God, when man tries to be God, wickedness prevails along with all manner of pain and anguish. There is no happy ending to that story. That is as it should be.

As I read the first three chapters of Dracula, I thought: Wow! This Bram Stoker guy can really write! I was drawn in immediately. And then I got to the end of chapter three and (even though I knew that vampire antics were coming) I was totally unnerved by the description and am uncertain now whether, regardless of the compelling nature of the writing, I should continue to read this book.

Has anyone read it? What do you know of it? What was your opinion? Is there anything redeeming about it in the end? Is this a classic struggle between good and evil or simply evil?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Related Tags: ,