Monday, November 27, 2006

Children's Christmas Books

Rebecca noticed the children's Christmas books that I have arranged on my window sill and asked about them. They are, from left to right:

The Tale of the Three Trees
written by Angela Elwell Hunt
illustrated by Tim Jonke

Santa Mouse
written by Michael Brown
illustrated by Elfreida De Witt

The Christmas Box (not really a children's book, given to me by my sister in law)
written by Michael Brown

How the Grinch Stole Christmas
written and illustrated by Dr. Seuss

The Christmas Tree that God Made (a toddler book)
written and illustrated by Deborah Reinhart

A Cup of Christmas Tea
written by Tom Hegg

Merry Christmas Mom and Dad (the boys LOVED this one!)
written and illustrated by Mercer Mayer

The Story of the Nativity
written by Elizabeth Winthrop
illustrated byRuth Sanderson

Our Star of Bethlehem
written by Stephen Wagner
illustrated by Pat Stewart

The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (another favorite when the boys were little)
written by Jane Thayer
illustrated by Lisa McCue

Miracle in a Shoebox (based on Operation Christmas Child--a project from Samaritan's Purse)
written by Franklin Graham with Estelle Condra
illustrated by Dilleen Marsh

T'was the Night Before Christmas
written by Clement Clarke Moore
illustrated by unknown

*When I took the picture today, I didn't notice that in all of Ivy's rambunctious excitement, she must've knocked down one of the books. I found A Baby's Christmas by Lucy Rigg behind a couch cushion.*

Those are as many as I could fit on the window sill. My boys are too old to crawl up into my lap to be read to now, but it makes me happy to see the beloved books displayed each year and it's fun to remember the days when we snuggled together reading, and chubby little fingers pointed to the pictures and later, to the words. It's fun, too, to think ahead to the day when a little granddaughter or grandson will climb up on the couch and pull down a favorite book from the window sill and say, "Grandma, will you read this one again?"

Related Tags: , ,