Monday, June 19, 2006

Oh, the bitter loss

Yesterday afternoon, my computer had a major crash. When I finally got it booted back up, I found that I had lost all my Firefox bookmarks and tabs in the toolbar folder. Sigh. I spent way too much time trying to find the hidden file that holds my bookmarks, but to no avail. So now I begin the impossible task of trying to reconstruct my bookmarks.

Why am I telling you this? Well, I could wait until another Works for Me Wednesday to share this little nugget, but I would feel so bad if this happened to another Firefox user and I hadn't brought it to your attention in time. There is a Crash Recovery add-on available for Firefox. You can download it here.

If I were you, I'd go download it now. Takes just a second or two, but it will save hours if you ever have a crash that corrupts your browser.

[UPDATE] Mz. Ellen has provided a link to help anyone who, like me, is faced with the daunting task of reconstructing one's bookmarks. For myself, once I saw my bookmarks in document form, I decided that since I hadn't really lost my bookmarks, I actually prefered keeping a leaner bookmark file in the future. Therefore, I copied my most recent old bookmarks backup file and pasted it into a Word document, which I then copied onto a CD. Now I can choose what I want to keep and still have an archived copy for "just in case."

Hopefully, with the Crash Recovery Add-on I downloaded, this will not be a problem in the future. An ounce of prevention IS worth a pound of cure!

Related Tags: , , ,