Tuesday, February 21, 2006

To comment or not to comment

I've been thinking a lot about blogging over the past few days in light of the recent controversy. I think many, if not most of us have. I have an opinion just like everyone else. I have thought about sharing it but when it comes right down to it, I have nothing new to add and what I would say has already been said much better than I can say it anyway.

I decided before I ever hit the publish button on my first post that I would never post anything that I would feel weird about were someone/anyone reading in my presence. My husband, my mom, my sons, my pastor, my friends. Most especially my Savior. I've thought a lot about why I blog and how I blog. I have some self-imposed guidelines, known only to me, that I have been able to stick to so far. Maybe I'll share them all someday.

Here's one for today:

If I am uncertain about a post, whether it be concerning appropriateness, clarity, or correctness, I save it as a draft and give it the three day rule. I've only needed to do this a couple of times and each time I decided not to publish.

Kim linked to a really good blogpost this morning. It's worth reading.

So here's the question for the day: Do you have any self-imposed guidelines that govern your blogging activities? If so, leave a note in the comments and I'll move them up here or blog about it and I'll link here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carol says, "the main thing I ask myself is, "Is my heart right?" She has more words of wisdom in the comments.

Brand new blogger (yea!), Amy, at Ezekiel's Garden is careful about giving out too much personal information (good practice!) and she tries not to repeat a sentiment or idea unless it has been particularly meaningful to her. Go say "hi" to Amy and welcome her to the blogosphere--oh, and it's OK to repeat! :)